An Australian cat suspected of drinking antifreeze survived the ordeal with the help of a bottle of vodka.
Yes, you read that right.
The stricken cat was found outside of a tire shop in Brisbane last weekend. They took him to the RSPCA post-haste, and when he tested positive for renal failure the veterinary team went to work. They procured a bottle of Absolut vodka, and hooked the cat up to an IV vodka drip. Within a couple of hours his condition stabilized.
“Because it’s such a fast-acting toxin, they’re normally dead by the time we get to treat them,” RSPCA doctor Sarah Kanther told an ABC news team. “So basically once you put the alcohol into his blood it metabolizes that instead, and gives the antifreeze time to pass in a less toxic form.”
They’re still looking for the owner, but if the owner doesn’t materialize he’ll be put up for adoption. His new name? “Tipsy,” picked by ono of the nurses who tended to him.